Rush Backstage at London Fashion Week AW16
London Fashion Week was an extremely exciting and busy time for our workshop team and artistic team stylists. It is the season of back-to-back bookings filled with the buzz of top designers, celebrities and big sponsors. Rush’s Editorial Director Tina Farey, and Workshop Session Stylists, James Oxley, and Sophie Chandler were spreading their talents all over LFW, AW16 shows giving us a breakdown of the top AW16 hair trends and how to achieve them behind the scenes.
Rush Workshop team member James Oxley assisted Adam Reed at Percy & Reed for L’Oreal Professionnel backstage at the DAKs show. The looks created were beautiful slicked back, side twisted buns.
James styling DAKs model backstage:
How James created the look in 5 steps:
1. Hair was put into a deep side parting
2. Hair was broken down into 3 sections
3. Hair was brushed over to one side and placed into a ponytail behind the ear.
4. Fringe section was combed down and back, to create a mildly masculine feel.
5. Ponytail was placed in a hair net and then looped round into a bun.
The look created was really elegant and very sleek. The main products used were metallic gloss to create a touchable yet high shine finish” – James Oxley
The final DAKs model looks:
Tina Farey assisted Anthony Turner at Art Partner behind the scenes in the Peter Pillotto show. The hair was in a pagan style, inspired by Game of Thrones, with hair down in a centre parting, with hugging braids and/or jewels through the nape of the head and elongated front panels. She used , to create a natural texture and soft wavy movement in the hair.
Peter Pillotto models on the runway:
Tina’s 7 tips on how you can create a pagan style braids at home:
1. Brush hair all over, keeping texture wavy and natural
2. Spray L’Oreal Professionnel Tecni Art PLi to different sections of the hair.
3. Smooth hair with a paddle brush
4. Using a medium ghd tong, work down the hair shaft creating a loose and natural wave
5. Take a vertical section on both sides behind the ears and plait into the middle
6. Allow the front to hand out
7. Secure the two plaits at the nape with an elastic band and sew your favourite brooch to the plaits and tuck behind your ear.
Click through her gallery of backstage access images.
The 2 most used backstage styling products are: L’Oreal Professionnel Techni Art Volume and L’Oreal Professionnel Techni Art Wild Stylers Next Day Hair
Workshop team member Sophie Chandler assisted Adam Reed at Percy & Reed for L’Oréal Professionnel at J.JS LEE show backstage, creating a minimal look of a low slick wet low ponytail with bold red lips.
How to create this look at home:
1. Spray L’Oreal Professionnel Shower Shine through hair and brush gently through. Be careful to not brush flat.
2. Tie ponytail with hair band
3. Apply L’Oreal Professionnel Shower Shine throughout ponytail length and ends. Smooth with hands
4. Take a small ponytail and wrap around a small piece of hair around the hair band and pin into place.
Watch how to create the low wet look ponytail at home
J.JS LEE AW16 collection:
Tina Farey join the team backstage at Erdem to assist to create beautiful jewelled dishevelled up-dos with bold jewelled side clips to match statement earrings.
The looks created were about horizontal rolls with side partings, nodding to the 40’s with whimsical tresses falling around the ears. It was all about a dewy finish with dishevelled texture”
– Tina Farey
How to create the Erdem AW16 look:
1. Create a super clean side parting section through the hair
2. Work in 1 inch sections with L’Oreal Professionnel Techni Art Volume PLi and Volume Riche mousse to sections
3. Dry the product in with a hair dryer (attach on nozzle on the end of the hair dryer to keep hair flat and eliminate flyaways). Dry and smooth hair all over with hands
4. Pull all the hair back and allow the loose hairs to fall away from the face
5. Secure with a band at the nape of the neck
6. Work the ends up horizontally to create a “home made” roll bun.
7. Keep the base of the bun tight, securing with pins, allowing small strands to come out and loose
8. Spray Next Day Hair by L’Oreal Professionnel Techni Art all over and pull hair out around the ears and front of the face for a natural look.
7. Secure with your favourite jewelled pin on the side parting for the full Erdem catwalk look!
The Erdem models final looks:
Tina Farey was very busy during fashion week and also assisted Sam McKnight at Premier Hair & Make Up the team backstage for Anya Hindmarch. The overall collection focussed on natural, wavy healthy hair.
Tina’s steps for creating the look:
1. Lightly spray L’Oreal Professionnel Techni Art PLi through the hair
2. Smooth hair first with a large brush
3. Use medium ghd tongs randomly tong vertically down the hair for a second to create a slight bend.
4. Use Next Day Hair by L’Oreal Professionnel TechniArt and L’Oreal Professionnel Mythical Oil on the ends of the hair.