Simple Hairstyles for Hot, Humid Weather
We pray for warmer weather all winter long. Sun, sand, sea? Oh yes! But it can be hard to enjoy a back-garden barbecue if you’re busy fighting the frizz.
Humidity and hair have never been besties, so it’s nearly impossible to tame the mane on hot, muggy days. You need a game-changer. And what do you think the game-changer is? Why, playing up your natural tresses, of course!
Rest assured, you won’t be left looking like Monica in Barbados before she got her hair braided. With a few savvy styling tips (of which we have many), your ‘do is sure to set temperatures rising for all the right reasons!
To get every last stray piece of hair tucked away, you can always count on a braid. And really – is there any better (or more stylish) way to beat the heat than with the perfect braided ‘do? No; no, there isn’t.
Braids come in many different shapes and forms, some of which include:
- Double French, for saying au revoir to boring hairstyles (and bonjour to plaited perfection).
- Two-Strand Crown, an easy fix for on-the-go elegance, and great for keeping your head cool during even the hottest, most humid temperatures.
- Pull-Through, effortlessly stunning and perfectly suited to any occasion.
Be sure to keep a few extra hairbands close by when things turn tropical because the topknot is going to be your best friend through the stickier parts of this season. When the clamminess comes calling, simply whip out a hair tie and pull every last strand off your poor neck.
The hottest topknots right now are:
- Giant, quick to achieve and ideal for when you just can’t seem to shake frizzy hair.
- Satin, if accessorising is #life and you feel like your locks could use a little freshening up.
- Dutch Fishtail, the epitome of a casual, fun hairdo with endless styling possibilities.
Topknots may have somewhat eclipsed ponytails as an easy go-to hairstyle in the last few years, but let’s not forget how versatile, cute, and practical a ponytail actually is – especially when it’s sweltering and you have no choice but to leave the air-conditioned comforts of home.
These smart ponytails will help you manage your mane with newfound ease when the mugginess level is too darn high:
- Volumised, lifting your hair so that it always has a luscious, lively finish – no matter how hot the day gets.
- Topsy, lending a fun retro vibe to your everyday updo.
- The Messy Pony; pull all your hair back and up, tie it together with a scrunchy and walk out the door, ready to take on the world – regardless of the heat!
Odds are your hair is going to be frizzy anyway this summer, so embrace the grit by roughly winding it up and in to form a French twist. Also, where staying cool at the back is concerned, nothing else compares.
There are a number of ways in which you can make this style your own, such as:
- Textured, for when the opportunity to get glammed up is at the top of your list.
- Sleek, which – with its severe lines – has a slightly standoffish feel that shows off your sassy side!
- Messy, easier to handle and sure to hold its shape for longer in warm weather.
Leave It Down!
Of course, there’s always one easy workaround: do nothing. Let your hair hang loose and free and embrace its natural state. Make frizz your friend when the temperature just won’t quit. By owning the #bighairdontcare, you’ll never have to suffer for your style in heat and humidity ever again.
If you’re worried about your hair looking too frizzy or messy when it’s humid out, don’t be. Our styling tips are only a starting point when thinking about giving your hair the boost it needs. Another way to win the battle against frizz is with a nourishing in-salon hair treatment; your stylist will be happy to offer some professional advice on how to continue your new regimen at home and prevent future frizzing due to humidity.
You can use the Rush website to find your nearest salon and book a consultation to at least explore your options.