Man to Man: You’re ‘beardyful’ so express it!
I have for a long time viewed it as my male prerogative to grow a beard at will, I see it as one of the ultimate expressions of individuality. The great hairy (and in my case slightly ginger) mass sprouts across my mug at an alarming rate! Now, I have had mixed reactions about my […]Back to listings
I have for a long time viewed it as my male prerogative to grow a beard at will, I see it as one of the ultimate expressions of individuality. The great hairy (and in my case slightly ginger) mass sprouts across my mug at an alarming rate!
Now, I have had mixed reactions about my hirsute face, some are fascinated and demand to touch it, others are truly repelled, I am undeterred by these women, I suspect they are just jealous at their inability to join me in my lumberjack like vision, and I’ve even had expressions of this attitude upon pressing the issue a little.
I have recently begun to regrow my beard in readiness for summer (odd though it seems), so I thought it might be cool to have a look at the beard care options for today’s modern (lumberjack obsessed) man!
Basic Beard Care For The Full Beard Man
- Choose a style! The soul patch won’t suit everyone, nor does the lumberjack! Choose a style that suits your face, if like me, you are a larger guy grow the beard low down the neckline – now that you’ve decided, LET IT GROW!
- Look after your beard! Comb it (only in the direction it grows), if you have curly hair, buy a comb with widely spaced teeth on one end to detangle and fine teeth on the other to refine. For those with fine hair, a fine comb will do the job. Use it daily as it will help you find any stray hairs!
- Don’t shampoo your beard every day, or condition – it can actually make things worse! Instead seek out some specialist care products like beard oils to help you maintain a soft to touch, impressive to see beard, think of it as beardy aftershave!
- In about 2 weeks depending on how fast it grows, you should start to think about trimming your beard.
- Get a quality tool kit, a trimmer with different attachments and an ability for fine edge work.
- Trim that bad boy! Use a trimmer to CAREFULLY define the line of your beard, I can’t count the number of times I’ve gone too far and ended up with just a pair of wolverine-esq chops.
- Moisturise your face! Don’t ignore your skin just because you have a beard. Keeping your skin soft and smooth helps the over all look. Elemis Moisture Boost is very popular at Rush Beauty, it’s definitely worth a try!
And my number one tip? Sleep, eat and look after yourself as your beard will reflect this!
Now go and make beard my beardy brothers!